If you’ve noticed that your model ship is not as vibrant, and detailed as it used to be, then it must be because of dust that has settled on it. You most probably didn’t put it in a display case. But, rest assured, you can clean it by yourself. It isn’t hard, but it can take some time.
Here’s what you will need:
- Baby wipes or cloth
- Small to medium soft bristled paintbrush
- Canvas cleaner with mildew remover
How to proceed:
- Using a small/medium brush, gently brush off any loose dirt, and dust from your model. Follow the brush with compressed air to keep dust from resettling. Be careful here, as many compressed air sources have strong blasts that can damage the model ship. The best way would be to use an airbrush. It’s gentle, plus you can easily adjust the air pressure as per your convenience. You simply have to hook it up, and run it without any paint. It works well at removing bigger dust particles from your ship.
- Use a cloth or baby wipes to wipe down the hull, and the small spaces.
Note: Baby wipes have no harsh chemicals, and won’t dry out the wood.
- If your sails have stained or have dirt on them, wet a toothbrush with canvas cleaner, and gently brush a small amount of it into the sails so as to brighten them up. You can also use a Q-tip if required.
Yet, my personal recommendation is to avoid using cleaners on sails, and rigging unless they are very dirty. But, that’s totally up to you. Just make sure to use a cleaning agent that goes well with your ship’s material, and coatings.
- To get into all the little details, moisten a Q-tip with a baby wipe, and gently get into the small spaces.
Well done! By now, the appearance of your model ship must have improved. Yet, if you’re still unsatisfied with how it looks, you can repeat any of the steps a couple of times. I’d also highly recommend to buy a display case for your model ship, so as to save time, and not having to thoroughly clean the model ship again.
Still unsure or having difficulties about how to do it?
I’ll recommend watching this video by an experienced modeller who shows his method of cleaning his model ship.
Also, you might want to check out our catalogue. We offer more than 120 different ship models, ranging from the oldest to the most modern.